Post by JAI
Award winning composer, vocalist, and superheroine
I read an article the other day on Music Marketing dot com titled “How to Pack like a Rock Star”. I had to laugh out loud after reading it because as an alternative female performing artist, I am a very detailed packer and usually bring more than I actually need on tour.
I mean who wants to get stuck in the middle of nowhere without the comforts of home! So…I bring everything I can possibly think of to keep me comfortable and entertained.
I made a list of packing tips that work for me (does not include an SE gear like merch, equipment, or stage props):
- Pick out 3 full stage outfits including tops and bottoms or dresses with jackets and thin long sleeve shirts to wear underneath for colder temps , accessories including wigs, gloves, belts, boots, tights, socks, jewelry, and all the makeup, fingernail polish, eyelashes, and glitter you can manage to stuff into your indestructible makeup box.
- A box of ziplock bags in various sizes for liquids and easy storage along with lots of 3oz. bottles for the TSA mafia and easier carrying of tonics.
- Duct tape and loads of safety pins…cuz one or both of them will fix just about any mishap!
- Cases of bottled water and electrolyte packs to dump in the morning after a long night of performing, pimping and hauling gear.
- An umbrella for increment weather.Really, a woman can endure many things except being soaking wet in all her gear and scorching under the hot weathering sun.
- Boots, dom shoes, flats…and a pair of flip flops for the shower and the beach!
- Hair Dye. scissors, a razor and rubber gloves! You can’t be a redhead and go anywhere without your personal bottle of hair developer and the perfect shade of your favorite red hair dye.
- A pair of noise cancelling earphones and an extra set of earbuds. When you’re in a van that contains members who just don’t know how to shut the fuck up once in a while so you can think, you’ll be thankful you packed an extra pair of noise reduction headphones for reading, watching movies, thinking, and memorizing new songs.
- A blow up mattress, towels and washcloths, a box of “AA” and “C” batteries for your favorite vibrators, a surge protector power strip, and ALL of your chargers along with a solid car charger for all your electronic gadgets.
- Lastly, a good camera, books, magazines, movies, and outrageous porn!
Ok any women that have to endure traveling in a van or bus with a bunch of testosterone filled guys, I’d love to hear some tips from you on what you would suggest to bring on your next adventure.